Annual Review

Under the Children and Families Act 2014 local authorities must carry out a review of every EHC plan at least once every 12 months.

CAB (Citizen’s Advice Bureau)

Can provide advice and information on a range of issues for disabled children and their parents and carers.

Carers Support Workers        

Provide help, information or advice on services in Bath and North East Somerset to anyone who regularly helps a disabled, ill or frail relative, neighbour, friend, or disabled child or child with special educational needs.

CA (Carers Allowance)

CAF (Common Assessment Framework)

Can identify the right support at an early stage.

CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service)

CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group)

Are groups of professionals that work together to commission health services, ensuring there is sufficient capacity contracted to deliver the necessary services to people.

Children and Families Act 2014

This law came into force on 1st September 2014.  Part 3 of the Act sets out the new law on special educational needs and disability.  The Act is supported by the SEND Regulations 2014 and the SEND Code of Practice 0-25 years.

Children's Community Nurses          

Registered Children's Nurses who care for children, with a variety of medical problems, in their own homes. They also provide information and support to teachers and other professionals.

Classroom Assistant 

See Learning Support Assistant.

Clinical Psychologists  

Have undertaken training to understand how we learn and how we behave, and how children's minds, abilities and behaviour develop. They work together with the child and family to help with any developmental, emotional and behavioural problems.

CMEOs (Children Missing Education Officers)

Employed by the LEA, they have the responsibility to ensure attendance in school of children of statutory school age, and liaise with many other agencies to offer specialist support to parents and schools concerning pupil welfare and attendance.


A specialist senior doctor, heading a team of doctors, who will be in overall charge of a child's care and will work closely with other professionals.

Consultant Child Psychiatrists         

Doctors who specialise in childhood mental disorders and difficulties. They are experts in making diagnoses and in administering physical treatments such as medication.

DDA (Disability Discrimination Act)

DFE (Department for Education)

Direct Payments

A payment made directly to a parent or young person to purchase specific services.  Under the Children and Families Act 2014 a Direct Payment may be made as part of a Personal Budget so that the parent or young person can buy certain services that are specified in their EHC plan.

Disagreement Resolution

Local authorities must provide independent disagreement resolution to help parents and young people resolve disputes with local authorities, schools and other settings about SEND duties and provision.

DLA (Disability Living Allowance)

DWP (Department for Work and Pensions)

EFA – Education Funding Agency

The EFA is the government agency that funds education for learners between the ages of 3 and 19 and those with learning difficulties and disabilities between the ages of 3 and 25.

EHC Plans – Education, Health & Care Plans

An EHC plan describes the special educational needs that a child or young person has and the help that they will be given to meet them.  It also includes the health and care provision that is needed.  It is a legal document written by the local authority and is used for children and young people who have high support needs.

EPs (Educational Psychologists)

Are concerned with children's learning and development and are trained to help children and young people (from birth to 19 years) who are experiencing difficulties in learning or behaviour. They advise in the assessment of children's additional educational needs from an early stage and offer specialist advice and support to parents, teachers and other professionals.

Family Support Workers      

Work alongside Social Workers to provide a service to disabled children and their families. They can also be a link between parents and other agencies, as well as helping you to access charities and other useful organisations.

FE (Further Education)

GP (Family Doctor)

Your family doctor, (often called your GP, short for General Practitioner) will usually be your starting point for any concern about your child's health or development. Your GP acts as a gateway to other professionals and can refer you to specialist services for tests, diagnosis or treatment.

H.I (Hearing Impairment)

HV (Health Visitors)


Educating and including in play care settings children with special educational needs and disabled children in mainstream schools wherever possible.

IS - Independent Supporters

Volunteers who are independent of the local authority. They can offer help to parents whose child is being assessed, such as compiling parents' contributions, understanding reports, writing letters and attending meetings.


Someone who provides children, young people and parents with a single point of contact to help make sure the support they receive is co-ordinated.

LA (Local Authority)

LD (Learning Difficulties)

LDA (Learning Difficulty Assessment)

From September 2014 Learning Difficulty Assessments will be replacedby EHC plans.  Local Authorities must transfer young people who already have provision as a result of an LDA to the new SEND system by 1st September 2016 if they are staying in further education or training after that date.

A child has learning difficulties if he or she finds it much harder to learn than most children of the same age.

Lead Practitioner/Professional

Is the name given to any member of staff who takes on a co-ordinating role and acts as a single point of contact for a child, young person and family.

LO (Local Offer)

LSA (Learning Support Assistant)

Work closely with teachers and SENCOs to help children access education. They may provide support to a small group of children or on a one-to-one basis, depending on the level of need.

Learning Support Teacher

An allocated Learning Support Teacher who can advise the school's SENCO about your child's IEP and can help in the review of targets.

Mainstream School

This is a school that provides education for all children, whether or not they have special educational needs or disabilities.


A system of symbols and signs used to help children with communication difficulties.


Mediation is a type of disagreement resolution.  Every Local Authority must provide independent mediation to help parents and young people resolve disputes.

MLD (Moderate Learning Difficulties)

OFSTED (The Office for Standards in Education)

OFSTED's remit is to improve standards of achievement and quality of education through regular independent inspection, public reporting and informed independent advice.

OTs  (Occupational Therapists)

Provide advice about aids and adaptations, practical help and therapy programmes to help children become as independent as possible in everyday activities such as personal care, eating and drinking, play and school work. They can work for either Health or Social Services.


Section 9.66 of the SEND Code of Practice says: An outcome can be defined as the benefit or difference made to an individual as a result of an intervention.  It should be personal and not expressed from a service perspective; it should be something that those involved have control and influence over and while it does not always have to be formal or accredited, it should be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time bound (SMART).  When an outcome is focused on education or training, it will describe what the expected benefit will be to the individual as a result of the educational or training intervention provided.


Specialise in the care and treatment of babies and children whilst in hospital, Out Patients Department or in a community setting.

PCP (Person Centred Planning)

Person Centred Planning is a process of planning for life around the time of the Transition review (14 yrs +). The young person is at the centre of the planning, other professionals and key people can assist with the drawing up of a person centred plan (PCP).

Personal Budget

A personal budget is money set aside to fund support as part of an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) for a child or young person with special educational needs.

PIP (Personal Independence Payments)


Use exercise and other physical treatments to improve movement, strength and co-ordination, and to help the body to develop and work properly. They can show parents and carers, teachers and classroom assistants how to handle a child to help him/her cope better with the needs of daily life and to reach the greatest level of ability.


A doctor who helps people who have difficulties with the way they feel or behave. Child psychiatrists specialise in helping children.

PPS (Parent Partnership Service)

Provide parents of children with additional needs with confidential and impartial information, advice and support.

RDA (Riding for the Disabled Association)

SALT (Speech and Language Therapists)

Work with children who have problems of understanding, communicating and speaking. They can also help with swallowing and eating difficulties.

School Nurses

Give advice and support to school age children, their parents/carers and teachers on any health issues.

SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator)

Member of staff of a school, nursery or pre-school who has responsibility for co-ordinating special educational needs (SEN) policy and provision for pupils within that school.

SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities)

SEND Code of Practice

This is the statutory guidance that supports Part 3 of the Children and Families Act 2014.

Sensory Services Team

A team of experienced, qualified teaching and non-teaching staff who provide support for children who have hearing, vision and multi-needs sensory impairment, including deaf-blind.


Context in which children are cared for and educated. Examples include playgroups, pre-schools, nurseries and schools.

Social Care Workers

Provide advice and support and also assess your child's and your family's needs for services. They can be contacted direct or by referral from a GP.

Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal

An independent body that hears parents' appeals against decisions made by LAs.

Special Educational Provision          

The special help given to children with special educational needs.

Special School

A school which is specifically organised to give help to pupils with special educational needs.

Specialist Teachers

Come into school to give advice and support to individual children, teachers and parents and make some home visits. Areas of support include visual, hearing, physical, speech and language and specific learning difficulties.

Staff Grade/Medical Officers

In Paediatrics, doctors who have trained in the care of children but still work under the overall supervision of a Consultant. Many only work part-time and some also work as family doctors (GPs).

VI (Visual Impairment)