In this section you will find information on training courses for parents/carers, details for support services and signposting to peer support groups.
Training and information courses for parents/carers after an autism diagnosis:
- Cygnet Programme at Fosseway school - This 5/6 week programme is designed for parents and carers of children and young people aged 5-18 with a diagnosis of autism.
- SPACE - (Supporting Parents of Autistic Children in the Early years) is a 4 week course aimed at helping parents of Pre-school children (0-4 years) understand more about autism and how they can best support their child.
Information and advice services:
- SEND Partnership Service – Impartial information, advice and guidance for parents/carers with a child/young person as well as the young person with SEND or additional need (including autism).
- Advocacy Services at Off The Record - this service can help young people at their EHC (Education, Health and Care) plan review meetings, and help with transitions, such as from school to college, from college to work or into adult services.
Support services and peer support groups in B&NES:
- B&NES Carers Centre - support for people looking after a loved one, including parents with a child with SEND
- BASS - Run advice services for adults with autism diagnoses in Bristol, Bath, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset
- Butterflies Haven - support group for parents of children and teenagers with autism, based in Keynsham.
- FACES - support group which is open to the whole family, your child with autism and their siblings, based in Bath.
- Parent Carers Voice - A group of parent carers with children and young people with a SEND or additional need who work with the Local Authority to shape services for children/young people with SEND.
- SEN Parent Support Group Bath and surrounding areas - A Facebook group for parents/carers with a child with SEND and/or additional needs (including autism)
For practical advice on how to support your child through day to day life, Healthtalk.org have some really useful information, tips and advice covering everything from sleep, days out, eating and communication. The link above will take you to the main page, see the left side section on 'Everyday life'.