What do all these words mean?

Have a look at the Glossary for information about what some of the ‘jargon’ words mean


What extra support is available for my child with SEND or additional needs?

‘Short Break’

Short Breaks provide opportunities for disabled children and young people to spend time away from their primary carers/family. These include day, evening, overnight or weekend activities and take place in the child’s own home, the home of an approved carer, a residential or community setting. Have a look here for more information: https://www.rainbowresource.org.uk/pages/11-14-years/social-care/short-breaks-for-disabled-children


Who can I talk to if I think my child needs additional support at school?

Each school has a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) who will be able to talk to you about your child’s needs and the support they might be able to put in place for them.


What support is available to help pay for childcare?

There are several options for help paying for childcare for school aged children, have a look on the following page for details: http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/children-young-people-and-families/childcare-early-years-play/paying-childcare-tax-credits-

Where can I find details of childcare providers in my area?

All Ofsted registered childcare in Bath and North East Somerset can be found here: www.bathnes1bd.org.uk. This includes nurseries, childminders, breakfast, after-school and holiday clubs.  

Each childcare provider should have outlined their experience of working with children with SEND and how they cater for different needs. You can view this on each childcare providers’ record on Bathnes 1 Big Database under the ‘Local Offer Documents’ section.


What are the different types of childcare options?

There are lots of different types of childcare available, here is a breakdown of them: https://www.bathnes1bd.org.uk/pages/childcare/types-of-childcare


How can I make a complaint about a school or college?

If you have concerns that a child is at risk of serious harm then you should contact the local council on 01225 396313 and 396312

If you have any concerns about your school the first port of call would be to discuss them with the school directly. If the concern is about a child with SEND, you should speak to the SENCo at the school. If you are unhappy with their response, then you will need to follow the school or academy’s complaints procedure which you will find on their website. This will normally mean writing to the headteacher explaining your concern. Use this web page for more information, as your next steps may differ for academies and local authority schools: https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-school


What is the Local Offer?

The Local Offer, published by every local authority, tells you what support is available for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities and their families. It includes information about education, health and care provision. It also gives information about training, employment and independent living for young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities.


Where can I get help and advice?

Have a look on the Information and Advice page for details of where you can get help: https://www.rainbowresource.org.uk/pages/11-14-years/information-advice-and-support.


What is an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan?

Find all you need to know about EHC Plans here: https://www.rainbowresource.org.uk/pages/11-14-years/education-health-and-care-plans